Re: Single hung windows/vinyl windows
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:20:12 -0700 (MST)
James Kacki <jimkacki [at] mb.sympatico.ca>
is the author of the message below.
   http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2001/msg01672.html  and
   http://www.harley.com/turn-off-html/

Note:  I think I just got confused and failed to reformat and post this
yesterday.  Sorry.

BTW Is there any chance that posters who reply to messages with preambles
like this can change the automatic "Fred Olson wrote..." verbage from
their replies ??  As you may have noticed I dont get around to writing
much here these days.

Fred

Elizabeth Stevenson wrote:

>>Have any cohousing groups used single hung windows? We are thinking of
>>going to single-hung windows in order to be able to keep the fiberglass
>>windows that were in our original specifications (due to their low
>>U-values.) What experience does anyone have with single-hung windows?
>>Do you recommend them? Why or why not?
>>

>By single-hung, you mean that only one sash goes up and down? I *hate* mine.
>I really wish the top sash were movable. This would be much better for
>parents of small children as well.
>

>>While I'm on the topic of windows, I may as well post a question about
>>vinyl windows. What does anyone have to say about them, good, bad, or
>>indifferent?
>>

>Ours are aluminum, double glazed, but we live in a very mild climate. I
>think my biggest heating bill ever was maybe 20 bucks, so I'm not a good
>person to answer that question.

It depends on your climate.  In the prairies where I live single or
double hung windows tend not to be very airtight , therefore  drafty &
energy wasteful.  Casement or awning openers give a far better seal.