Re: Pond safety
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:40:15 -0700 (MST)
We originally had planned for a pond at RoseWind, but for several reasons
have never done it. I do remember, though, the discussions related to
safety. A young child can drown in two inches of water.

I had never heard the idea someone posted about a grate just below the
surface, but that could potentially help. Of course the level of a pond
is likely to rise and fall with precipitation or lack thereof, so I'm not
sure how you'd manage to keep a grate from being neither above water, nor
so far below the surface that it wouldn't do its job.

If a child were to drown, or slip and be injured, I think a pond
reachable by children would constitute what in legal parlance is called
an "attractive nuisance", with liability implied. Most important is that
nobody get hurt. But if you do come up with something you think is safe
enough, absolutely get your insurance company on board!

If you want a genuine living pond, this involves building up a whole food
chain, which takes patience and some expertise. Around here, it's quite
hard to keep any fish in a pond, as the local herons (and maybe raccoons)
think the pond is a sushi bar. A visit by a pair of mallards will also
clean a small pond of almost all fauna. If your pond is not running
water, you may also have to contend with mosquito breeding. Too bad you
can just call in the ducks when they are needed.

If we were doing it now, I'd consider different sorts of water features.
A fountain or waterfall that "sheets" over rocks or concrete or
sculptures offers the water sounds, and something to watch and touch.
Probably birds would come and use it to drink and bathe, as well. In
freezing weather, it can be turned off. All this without anything anyone
could drown in. On our new common  house patio, enclosed by a stucco
wall, we hope to have some water features, but just little ones.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our