Interns in your community
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:39:39 -0700 (MST)
A few years ago my household hosted an intern for our community. We (my
family) provided room and board, the community ponied up some funds for
stipend (not much, about $800). We advertised on the Intentional Community
reachboard and had about a dozen applicants which surprised us. We had to
come up with some selection criteria, and if I were to do it again I would
change that process, but anyway, we ended up with a young college person for
the summer. She was a great asset, jumping in on several projects,
connecting with people, getting involved in community activities of all
kinds. There were some issues with her girlfriend who showed up for part of
the summer and kind of freeloaded for a couple of weeks, but we worked that
out eventually.

We never did it again however, since the host family (mine) has not been
home much over the summers since then and no one else has been interested in
hosting and doing the outreach. There is talk of what a good idea it is,
both practical and philosophical, but like many things we talk about, nobody
actually signs up to do it.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Community
South Snohomish County at the headwaters of Ricci Creek
Sky Valley Environments  <http://www.nonprofitpages.com/nica/SVE.htm>
Field skills training for student naturalists
Floriferous [at] msn.com

---