Re: community guidelines- process
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:38:17 -0700 (MST)
> This "Living Here Guide" will contain policies on
>pets, children, renters, etc. ... Specifically, how much input and
>decision-making was there on the part of the community as a whole?  And how
>much was delegated to the committee in charge?

>From Lynn at RoseWind, a built community of 24 households.

Involving the whole group in it is very important, in my estimation, and
consistent with principles of consensus. It is most useful to have
committees and task forces "do the homework", to save whole group time.
But (and we've learned this the hard way over 15 years) it is really
important BEFORE a team starts their work to have a community decision
about the goals, the mandate, the "job", of the team. What do you want
them to do for you? And at what point(s) do you want them to check back
in before going further?

What you don't want (believe me) is for a team to bust their ass
preparing something in detail, proudly bring it to the group, have it
shredded because it misses the mark in a fundamental way, and then have
the team frustrated, angry, and swearing they will never again give such
volunteer energy to a project. The community needs to know what to expect
of the team, and the team what to expect of the community.

If you are in a situation (relative geographic proximity of most members)
where you can productively use discussion circles, it might look like
this. Or you could work out some variation, using emails and such.

Someone(s) draft a proposal, or a suggestion, or a set of questions. At a
circle, input is gathered. The proponents of the project, or the
committee in charge of it, then takes that input and does their best to
weave it into a next step. They then check again with a larger group.
This goes around as many times as is necessary, until you have something
ready for a decision, with a high likelihood of approval by the whole
group.

Do it in parts. Don't make approving your pet policy contingent on also
approving your rental policy. Start with what seems easiest.

Also start with an understanding of when your rules will be re-evaluated,
and what the process is to evolve and change them. People are much more
likely to approve something if it isn't perceived as forever.

Prioritize what is most relevant prior to move in. We lived here for
years before we had policies on various things. Even given the maverick
nature of Port Townsend residents, it is a good idea in general not to
micromanage situations that may never be issues. What do the current
members feel are the priorities to get in writing?

We've never felt any need to regulate renters, for example, nor do we
have any policies about children, just some guidelines the parents came
up with for the kids, and for nonparents with kid issues (for example,
kids aren't to go into the kitchen uninvited, and they know that: if you
see a kid wander into the kitchen, remind them of the rule).

Good luck, and do keep in mind that your policies will evolve and change,
so spell out how that can happen.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com