Re: improving group dynamics?
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:28:08 -0700 (MST)
> There is this entire vocabulary that goes along with cohousing. It's
rather
> daunting. I find myself in constant fear of making a 'communication'
mistake
> since moving into cohousing. Haven't read all the books i guess. > Elaine

Don't sweat it.  It's good for a community to be reminded occasionally just
how much group jargon has evolved.  It helps break the insularity that leads
to groupthink!

In any case, "groupthink" is organizational psychology jargon, not
cohousing.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of awareness of it in cohousing
circles -- or at least, IMO, not enough.  That it is a trap for
consensus-based groups is my own conclusion, from all those times we are
discussing how to actually get something accomplished (you know, paying the
taxes, repairing a broken window ...), and somebody defends the lack of
progress or participation by saying that relationships are the true work of
the community, or similar sentiments.  Or puts the cart before the horse by
insisting on relationship building before tackling taskwork, rather than
relationship building _through_ taskwork.

Kay