Re: Re: Shared Internet Access
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:40:10 -0700 (MST)

There is a lot of technical stuff in the archives about wiring and internet access under a multitude of headings I'm sure. I don't know all the technical stuff but we have a community DSL line and a community website that comes with email accounts. We have something like routers (?) that connect us in an intranet. The DSL service goes to the basement and our routers and wiring pick up from there.

The initial hardware cost several thousand dollars but the monthly service is about $8 a unit for 43 units. 100 email accounts. A few people also maintain dial up accounts, mostly because they have had them forever and want their favorite address. As our own service gets the kinks out and people trust it more, fewer and fewer are keeping these accounts.

We use Internet Planners to host our web site and email accounts. It seems to work well and several different people can go in a change settings.

All this is perfectly legal and is the same set up small offices have. It is wonderfully easy to have it handled centrally so we don't have to go around giving checks to each other to share services in small groups.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC