Re: Shared Internet Access
From: PattyMara Gourley (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:26:10 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:24:43 -0500 Joe Nolan <jnolan [at] adobe.com> writes:
>>It helps to have a couple of technical  folks in the community to keep
the group LAN up & solve people's
small hookup problems without bugging the ISP all the time.

At Tierra Nueva, our 19 year old son, Alex,  is the techy for our LAN.
He started at age 14 helping our technically savvy member, Rich, who
spearheaded our LAN connection from early on.  They pulled cable together
after move-in then set up the original connections.  As new folks moved
in and connections needed to be added or changed to other rooms, or
gliches needed to be solved, Alex was called upon, and soon became the
official wire-head of Tierra Nueva.  When he left for college (computer
science/engineering/philosophy)  last year, we wondered how we were going
to manage!  Fortunately, he comes home for holidays.  He's due home
tonight for Thanksgiving, and I've got a waiting list of folks in the
community needing help.

Enlist the help of your teens for LAN/computer support.  This has been
*the* primary personal connection for Alex with other members of our
community...without it he would probably remain socially marginal from
the community.  He's still pretty embarrassed by the fact that we live in
a wierd community and, at any moment, a group of passing drummers might
walk by the house, smudging and chanting.

coheartedly,
PattyMara
www.gourleydesign.com
www.communitymade.com