Re: Buy out for common meals
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:38:11 -0700 (MST)
> What I want to know is, does anyone have
> a buyout system for meals? E.g. you eat, but you didn't sign up to cook
> or clean so you pay a certain fee ...

We had a system like this, and have discontinued it (thanks be).  If you
cooked or cleaned twice each month, you paid $3 per meal.  If you didn't,
you paid $5.  I don't know if the Dining Committee actually compared the
schedule of cooks & cleanup against the meal charges for each person --
probably not.

No other community activity or facility had special conditions on your use
of it if you hadn't done/didn't do part of the work in creating or
maintaining it -- imagine having a user fee for the lawn.  This was a sore
point for some of us whose "calling" lay in areas other than common meals.

Although we have a participation agreement, we don't track whether anyone is
adhering to it -- we don't record attendance at work parties, sign off
completion of monthly chores, or go over the community meeting attendance
sheets to make sure everyone is reaching their "required" 75%.  It's all
left up to honor and self-discipline (which fortunately for the rest of us,
Management exercises regarding its sine qua non jobs of keeping the bills
paid, taxes filed, and the low-income housing agency happy).  I was
depressed recently to see, at the end of a month in which I was supposed to
clean the laundry room and hadn't, that it didn't look much worse than
usual.

Kay