Re: Community House Kitchens
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:32:11 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 11/25/03 7:30:45 PM, jimkacki [at] mb.sympatico.ca writes:

<< For a community of say, 30 families, how much kitchen
equipment do you need in the community house?
# of ranges (stoves)
# of fridges
# of sinks >>

We have 24 "on-campus" households and three associated nnnnnnnghboring
households, 27 total.  People also use the kitchen for various size parties;
our
great room seats about 70.

We have a six burner stove and seldom, if ever, use them all at once.
However, we need the space a six-burner stove provides for the very large pots
we
frequently use.  That said, we often have four burners going at once,
occasionally five and it's possible we've used all six at once.

We have one double-sided reach in, commercial grade refrigerator.  It's just
about the right size.  We can store left-overs, lots of staples such as
condiments and salad dressings, food for upcoming meals and still have some
room for
co-op orders.  It's often close to full but never for long.  We have a
freezer in the basement that someone donated that we haven't used yet (we've
been
using the common house for a bit over three years) but will probably use soon
(long story).

We have a triple stainless steel sink, a small sink near the pass through and
a spray sink near the dishwasher.  They all get used regularly.  We could
probably get by with a double stainless sink, but we usually have two sinks
full
of soaking stuff, like one for large pots and another for large baking trays,
while using the third for the actual cleaning.  We don't need the small sink
but it's very convenient and didn't really cost much to put in.  I personally
love the spray sink and use it a lot, both when cooking and cleaning up.

It's tempting to put in as little as possible to save money.  I don't
recommend it.  You may only rarely use your kitchen to capacity but if you make
it
small you will never be able to have a large function without it being a pain.
And you may well have more larger functions then you now envision, especially
with thirty families.  Our kitchen is well laid out and well equipped, making
it easy to cook and clean up.  Why make it difficult for you and the
generations to come?

Roger Berman
Pathways
Northampton, MA