Re: "New" Seeking Tucson, AZ contacts/discussion
From: RodLambert (RodLambertaol.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:22:09 -0700 (MST)
Ron,
Re. alternative designs and ways of getting built:
It is peculiar that there isn't more effort in this direction. The primary
reason given is that it is a way of keeping costs down thereby making it more
affordable to more people. Cohousing is almost by definition, a rejection of
the
conventional developer's methods ie spralling suburban boxes, but not to any
extent yet, a rejection of his methods ie "you can pick from these 4 models
only and don't ask for changes or it will cost you."
We tried a different way here at EcoVillage at Ithaca. In the 2nd NBHD we
allowed "sweat equity" in fact several people practically built their own house
including strawbale and timberframe. We also allowed custom design. We used a
construction manager on an hourly basis and a "site crew" that flexed in size
as needed. We were able to get good discounts for materials and labor without
huge markups. It meant that there were no warranties (although even that could
have been arranged) but the cumulative savings seems to more then make up for
it. The average cost per sq. ft was actually lower than the First NBHD which
was done in the "conventional" way you speak of. This alternative method
produces a more personal NBHD although one needs to put in more of your own
energy -
its not for the person who just wants to be called when its done.
I really think that looking in this direction is the way to go. We have
accumulated a great deal of experience and knowledge getting the 2nd NBHD built
and
have formed a company to "take the show on the road". In your area you might
also want to contact Wonderland. They have a lot of experience and seem to be
well liked. They might be willing to experiment with a less conventional
method of getting built.

Hope this helps

Rod

Rod Lambert
Design Director
EcoVillage at Ithaca
234 Rachel Carson Way,
Ithaca NY, 14850

607 275 3362

<<Is there any interest out there for a co-housing project, that does
not impose a standardized home design and construction method?

I've been wondering why I don't see such "neighborhoods", comprised
of earthships, domes, strawbale, etc. in some sort of mix.

Ron G.
Yuma, AZ (But looking for the Tucson and slightly "east" area.)>>