RE: Pond Safety
From: Forbes Jan (jan.forbesdhhs.tas.gov.au)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:05:10 -0700 (MST)
I've seen a lot of ponds covered with wire mesh, which makes sense if
someone is likely to fall in and also stop cats and birds eating the fish
and frogs.

I visited one community in Denmark, Frugthaven, where all the houses are
clustered around a dam. None of the children who grew up there drowned. It
was a small community, they took the safety of the children seriously, had
strict rules with the kids and they made sure there was always someone
watching. Now local school children visit regularly, under supervision of
course. Frugthaven was the most picturesque of all the communities I visited
and has had very little turn over of households in all that time, close to
30 years. When I was there one of the young people was planning a wedding on
the dam.

Jan Forbes
Housing Analyst
Housing Tasmania