Re: Saving the Planet - do we use straw bale?
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:00:11 -0700 (MST)
This project in Austin sounds wonderful, and I can heartily endorse Catt's suggestions for a climate with cooling loads and little or no heating loads.

Some years back I remember a brilliant design suggestion which was posited by James Hamilton of Tucson, AZ. He suggested a set of large shade roofs (metal I think he suggested), carefully placed to allow for all private units to be built of earthen materials underneath, and not touching these shade roofs.

I have also met some desert architects with great design ideas for communities. Jeff Zucker would be a good place to start. He lives in Manzanita Village in Prescott.

Chris ScottHanson