Supporting forming communities--national ads & local signs
From: Tom Hammer (thammer302yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:13:15 -0700 (MST)
We were thinking that it would make sense to advertise
in some national publications that would be of
interest to Cultural Creatives.  Examples might be
Utne Reader, Mother Earth News, or Communities
Magazine. I'm sure you can think of lots of others.

However, we don't have the financial resources to
advertise by ourselves, and our ads in a national
magazine would be very inefficient.

Would it make sense for the forming communities to
pool advertising money and advertise, with
cohousing.org as the contact?

I can think of some inequities/problems:

--already built communities that have a unit or two to
sell would get free advertising.

--what would happen if some forming communities didn't
want to chip in?

One solution to the above would be for all the
communities who want to advertise would to pool some
of their advertising funds, using perhaps some formula
based on # of members, # of units for sale, etc., and
try it out, and have a separate web site where only
they are listed.  There could still be a link to
cohousing.org for further info.

I'm sure there are other creative solutions.

Another way that we could pool resources is to start
having some of the signs printed up nationally, that
plugs cohousing.org, but has a space or pocket where
local phone numbers could be slipped in.  Then
individual communities could buy and place as many as
they wanted.

Thoughts?

Tom Hammer
for Concord Village