RE: Community Land Trusts
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:58:29 -0700 (MST)
Tom Hammer <thammer302 [at] yahoo.com> wrote:

> I searched this list's archives on this subject and
> didn't find anything more recent than 1996 or so.

You must have done something wrong; there was a discussion of CLT's in
December 2002.  Any chance you were looking at the old "subject structured
archive" for the period 1993-1995?  The regular archives are accessed thru
the

Cohousing-L Info Page
http://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-L

(they are expected to move in the next year but will continue to be
accessible thru this URL for the Info page)

There is also a link to the subject line search on the info page; I used
it to search for "trust" and found the Dec '02 messages as well as some
other stuff.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Rob Sandelin wrote:

> Since most cohousing is done as a
> single, large capital project, which often requires millions of dollars in
> financing, the CLT model is not one that is used for housing.

This is at considerable variance with my understanding of CLT's.  While
Land Trusts have been used to hold open space - in cohousing and elsewhere
in cohousing.  It has been used for housing including large projectsas I
recall. I would encourage checking it out.  It might be more complicated
etc but it is certainly a promising approach to long term affordability.
In particular see my message from a year ago and links from it:

http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2002/msg02524.html

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411   (near north Mpls)
fholson [at] cohousing.org 612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Cent time)