Re: drawbacks
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:42:25 -0700 (MST)
Lynn here, from RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA. We started around
15 years ago. I've been living on site for about 7 years. I'm someone who
thrives on this cohousing experience, but as the principal contact for
potential joiners, I also know it's not for everyone.

It's extra work. You still have to do most of your personal-life stuff,
plus someone has to deal with the jointly-held stuff (cleaning,
maintenance, mowing, weeding, purchasing), the responsibilities of being
a legal entity (insurance, liability issues, accounting, taxes, City
permits, etc.), and the whole PROCESS of deciding and implementing all
those common affairs. Magic elves do not put supper on the table, water
the trees, and pay the bills.

It's extra time. Not only the above tasks, but the committees, task
forces, meetings, discussion and sharing circles, social gatherings, work
parties, reading and writing email, and more.

It costs extra. Yes, you get something for the investment. But you are
paying more, here anyway, than you would for the same house
just-anywhere; the value of the community amenities affect your property
taxes; something like an unexpected lawsuit could cost you extra; and
there is $800-1000 a year in annual assessment for operating expenses and
reserves.

It inhibits quick independent decision making in many matters. Yes you
can get quite good at community process. But it's nothing like top-down
administration in short-term "efficiency." If you are coming from the
model of a corporate business, you can despair. Again, one gets a return
on the time and patience put into seasoning a decision so it's more
durable. But not everyone has the patience.

Likewise, you can't always get what YOU want. At best, you'll be heard
and your desires considered by the group. But nobody will always get it
their preferred way. That has to be OK. As one develops trust in the
quality of the group, this becomes easier. More so for some people than
for others, though.

Stuff you could just DO on an independent property may be regulated or
need group process here. You can't just decide to adopt six dogs, or hang
intense lights in your yard.

Do I love it? Yes.
Is it extra work, time, patience, and constraint? Yes.
Is it worth it? For me yes. Not for everyone.