Re: common house kitchen cabinets & labels
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:42:45 -0700 (MST)
>Infrequently used items are coated with oil
>that has absorbed a lot of dust.  If everything is used frequently,
>there's no problem, but it's always an upleasant shock to take down some
>special serving piece and discover you have to wash it before using it.
>
>Louisa Thompson
At RoseWind, our upper cabinets are closed, with wooden doors, and there
are drawers, and fairly open pull-out drawer platforms, and open
shelving, for things we use often. Some of each. So extra dishes and
glassware, for example, is closed and up high; everyday dishes are on a
rolling Rubbermaid cart, with glasses and cups shelved by the beverage
counter in the dining room.

If anyone is designing a CH kitchen and wants more description of ours,
email me directly. Also I think there are some photos of our kitchen at
www.rosewind.org.

My challenge is labelling. It really helps to have it all clear, so
things get found, and also put away in order. I found sticky paper I can
run through my computer printer (looks sort of translucent like Magic
Tape). A whole page of it can be cut up into labels of any size, once
printed. But it's not waterproof, from my ink-jet printer, and it's too
much trouble to make just a few labels when needed. Has anyone used one
of those label-printing machines (not Dymo, but sticky tapes on clear
base)? I'm starting to think that even at $50 or $100 we'd get good use
out of such a thing, as we have labels on light switches, mailboxes, and
dining room drawers and cupboards, as well as kitchen stuff. Any other
bright ideas?

Lynn Nadeau