RE: Open Shelves in Kitchen
From: Douglas G. Larson (ddhleearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:33:46 -0700 (MST)
We chose open shelves for our CH kitchen primarily for the efficiency.
It's a working kitchen and opening and closing doors slows you down.
Don't underestimate the additive effect of several small inconveniences
(like opening doors, not having good tools) has on the total experience
of cooking and preparing a meal for 30+ people. Anything you can do to
improve efficiency in a working kitchen will help. Since we have 5 meals
per week and thus fairly high dish or tool turnover we haven't had any
significant grease or dust accumulation. If your range hood is of
adequate capacity then the oil dispersal in the air is minimized.

As for organization we have labels but they are small photos of what
goes in each space and they are followed mostly for the larger pans,
pots, dishes and somewhat followed for the small hand tools though
knives, thankfully, always end up in the right place.

Doug Larson,
Songaia Cohousing,
Bothell, Washington