Re: Home schooling in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:26:30 -0700 (MST)

On Jan 19, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Zev Paiss wrote:

   We know that a cohousing community is a great place to consider home
schooling, and we would love to hear from those of you who are out there doing it so we can pass along encouragement and information to prospective
cohousing members in Aurora.

We don't have a home school but are sadly ending two years of having a nanny care for two babies in the commonhouse. The babies have grown into daycare now and we are all very sad. About 15 people, totally unrelated to the children involved attended the goodbye party for the nanny.

It was wonderful having the children in the commonhouse running around and greeting everyone who came through. It gave other adults in the community access to children that they would not otherwise have. Children are different when they are not with their parents -- more open to interaction. Babies particularly tend to cling when their parents are around in ways they do not when their parents are not there. You could walk through and teach them to high-five or to say good morning or make a funny face or listen to their latest song. They knew everyone in the community and had relationships with them that were unrelated to their parents -- who were very surprised that there were so many people at the going away party. Often there would be other nannies visiting with their charges so we got to know babies from the whole neighborhood.

I would love a home school and am very sad that our children go off everyday to far away places, all to different public and private and charter schools. It seems so scattered and non-community building.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC