Re: Team cultures
From: Margaret Weatherly (mhweatherlyearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:35:14 -0700 (MST)
Hi Jessie! This is Martie from Liberty Village. I think when you are building
and not living all together that you will have to put up with a lot of
variation in time and place and type of meeting - by phone, by computer, in
coffeehouses, etc. However, the important thing is for each team to publicize
the meeting ahead so anyone can come and put out a report afterward. Of course,
there will be spontaneous meetings but generally each team should let others
know what they are discussing and when.

We used to give team reports at our meetings, but stopped that in favor of
reports by email and that still works. Before we lived together, we sometimes
had meeting time scheduled before a business meeting, when teams could get
together and meet (we had a lot of people traveling a ways to get there.)

Whether you meet by phone or in person, you can still use the consensus process
- not the formal part about bringing up items in a certain order, but that idea
of  putting out an idea and dealing with people's concerns to find agreement.
The idea of honoring each person's ideas does not have to be limited to a
meeting of the whole - it can be the context for every meeting whether it is on
the phone or over coffee.

Keep those meetings moving!

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village