Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 1, Issue 72 - I'd like to post a question.
From: Cybrarian9 (Cybrarian9aol.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:05:00 -0700 (MST)
To the list master, or whomever this may concern,

My name is Rob Goodman and I'd like know if this list would be a good forum for
posting my idea of creating a modern American kibbutz in the Washington, D.C.
metro area, preferably in Maryland, but possibly in Virginia.

I'm very familiar now with the cohousing movement because of the tours of the
local sites in the DC metro area.

I have a lot of ideas to support this kibbutz plan, but am a bit leary if not
shy to put the idea out in a mass forum and wondered if this would be a good
forum for my idea.  I'm a bit unsure because my idea would be especially for
people who consider themselves to be Jewish by birth or are observant of one of
the Jewish movements (or at at least someone who isn't Jewish but would like to
explore living on a kibbutz) and would appeal mostly to those Jewish people
living in the DC Metro area, Northern Virginia, and Maryland.

As far as I've been able to research, there is only one other kibbutz-type
location and it's in Oregon.  I don't know much more about it, but would like
to.  This would be a really new concept for the most part especially on the
East Coast.

My idea mixes all the wonderful ideas of cohousing, organic farming and
gardening, environmental home design, suburban or even rural living, creating a
safe and peaceful home to raise one's family, and the unique qualities of
living in an entirely Jewish neighborhood with its own synagogue (shul) so
close to a highly urban area.

I have a number of contacts in the above mentioned fields who can support my
ideas, plus my own limited background.  Now all I need is the financial
support, and a farm site, and most importantly the interested Jewish people to
make it happen on a scale of about 30 to 50 "families" living on about 10 to 12
(or more) acres.

If you feel that I can post this idea on your list, then perhaps you can
suggest a way to say what I'd like to say better that would have a more
appealing format with the least chance of accidentally offending anyone.  If
this cohousing list is not a good source for this inquiry to be posted, then
perhaps a better one could be suggested.

[And if I've accidentally sent this e-mail to the entire list by accident, my
sincerest apologies for the unsolicited intrusion.]

Thank you for reading this e-mail.  I look forward to your response.  Please do
not post this e-mail as is, I'd like to hear your thoughts first as the
listmaster.

Most sincerely,

Rob Goodman