Re: Consensus [Was new article on blocking]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:03:54 -0700 (MST)

On Jan 21, 2004, at 1:09 PM, Eris Weaver wrote:

If we are trying to decide how to
proceed on an issue, taking the temperature of the group in this way can help us figure out where we need to go next to craft a solution that will
work. If the strawpoll shows us that most of the group supports a
particular course of action and just a few don't, we can work more closely with the smaller group to find out what their objections are and how the
proposal can be crafted to address them.

Again, this raises a "majority" issue. Why assume that the majority is right and that the smaller group needs more work? Those who agree with the proposal may need the work because it is a bad proposal!!!!!

Given that many people have little tolerance for sitting through discussions on issues they don't care about and will go along wtih any proposal, why not ask the question, do we need to go to a small group discussion on this? Then people who care about the issue can do more work rather than just "those who object." You need all the people who really care in that small group, not just those on one side of the proposal.

Lots of things work in lots of situations, but the deeper issue is what are you setting yourself up for when things get tough? Are you really building a strong group that weather a big storm or are you coasting with what is really a majority rule situation?

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC