Re: Consensus
From: Mary English (Mary.Englishhsc.utah.edu)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:11:00 -0700 (MST)
Sharon,
  Thank you for a well written informative email on consensus.  More than once,
I have wished to comment on what I saw happening in a consensus process, and
could not find a way to describe my concern or objection about the way it was
being carried forward.  You write with great clarity about it.
  Here, something I and others have experienced, has been to have group members
 make "caring" comments of "what are you afraid of" or "why don't you trust the
group".  That certainly served to squelch any attempt by the minority to
express concerns, and turned the focus on the individual who was trying to
describe the problem as they saw it, instead of the concern of that individual.
It took me time to recognize it as an attempt to personally attack the minority
member and short circuit their attempt to be heard.  (After  all, how can one
object to a sweetly smiling person voicing their concern about you?)
  I remember one consensus discussion where I was explaining my reservation
about the proposal, and a community member insisted on knowing why I was I the
community and what I wanted from cohousing.  It had no bearing on the proposal
and I did not think quickly enough to realize, it too was a form of personal
attack and would serve to get the group's attention away from the reason for my
objection to the proposal.
  There are many manipulative techniques that have been used to try to prevent
the minority opinion from being recognized, valued and considered. More that
once I have gotten home after a meeting thinking over what happened (Let's see,
he started to try to say that.....and then she said...then....OOOOHHHHH.)
  Equally frustrating is: the group consensing on something in one meeting, and
 assigning a budget at that time; the committee  (composed of anyone who was
interested in the project, or had concerns about it) doing all the work of
researching, getting bids, winowing them down; three months later bringing back
the proposed specs and contract to the entire community for any final imput or
desired changes; then someone (who had not joined the committee nor had never
given any input to the committee) saying "no, I don't like this.  I'm blocking
this now."  And I can think of at least three times this has happened here.
  I find consensus the most difficult part of cohousing, in both emotional cost
and in cost of time involved in the process.