Re: Steel homes
From: Kristin Becker (kbeckerposterfrost.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:05:40 -0700 (MST)
Just a note - steel structures are not always higher in cost.  Costs of
lumber range dramatically and change frequently.  The steel industry tends
to be more stable and the two fluctuate between which is higher than the
other.  Also, in terms of recyclability, steel structure can be disassembled
and reused later in life whereas lumber is scrapped.  People often don't
reuse the steel, but it can be done fairly easily and lasts forever.  In
addition, termite problems are not an issue with steel.  Though what people
have said about thinking about thermal breaks must be considered (they
should be in all construction no matter the material).

Kristin