Re: RE: Consensus: late blocks (TR Ruddick)
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:44:09 -0700 (MST)
Hi all -

I've actually been through a "blocking" situation using a Butler-variation
consensus model.  In this case, a member participated in all the
decision-making meetings, came to a conclusion about the merits of the
proposal, presented his viewpoint, which was discussed by the group (a lot).
After consideration, no one else agreed with his position that acceptance of
the proposal represented the group stepping away from an agreed-on group value
or a previous decision about the scope of the project.  He agreed that he had
been listened to and his input and position discussed and respected.
Ultimately, the group decided to go ahead with the proposal, noting his extreme
reservations.

The facilitator did a fantastic job throughout the process to maintain a group
"tone" of respect, openness, curiousity, and commitment to becoming stronger as
a community by taking on this challenging discussion process. I can't say
enough, no matter what model a community chooses, for using qualified, trained,
able faciliators, especially in areas of disagreement.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
"Where we're working on coming to consensus on a consensus process."