Re: RE: Consensus: late blocks (TR Ruddick)
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:52:54 -0700 (MST)
The root word of consensus is consent, which means, gives permission. It has nothing to do with whether an individual agrees with a decision, in fact many times in a diverse group a person would be expected to give permission for a group to go ahead with a decision they disagree with. Consensus is not unanimous agreement, its unamimous permission to go ahead. Often people new to collaboration mistake their own experience for reality, and beleive they know the answers without having to hear anybody else. More experienced collaborators know that their own experiences are limited, and the value of collaboration is to draw out the things which they do not know and never experienced, so that the group has the maximum information and perspectives available to choose from.

Blocking because I disagree can be a sign of lack of humility and an over reliance upon my own perspective as being the best one. In my observations it takes two or three exposures to your limited perspective, in order to understand the limitations and value of bringing out things you did not know. There are some high ego attached people who take longer, and it is possible may never understand or accept that their experiences and perspectives are not the only ones.

This HAS to be experienced in order to be fully understood, and once it is understood, you can understand how humility is an important foundation of collaborative decision making.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Community
Snohomish County, WA