Re: RE: Consensus: late blocks (TR Ruddick)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:13:41 -0700 (MST)
On 2/2/04 6:00 PM, "TR Ruddick" <truddick [at] earthlink.net> wrote:

>> From: Ann Zabaldo <zabaldo [at] earthlink.net>
>>
>> I really like CT Butler's thinking on this whole "blocking" thing -- he
>> maintains that on the path to consensus an individual may "withhold consent"
>> but only the group can decide if it is "blocked."
>>

> If the majority is allowed to tell the minority that they are "blocking"
> then we are down to majority rule.  In that case, just institute a voting
> system and save time (and, concomitantly, reach less satisfactory decisions
> and alienate the minority).

But the group doesn¹t have to decide by majority vote that it is blocked. It
can decide by consensus that there doesn't seem to be a solution other than
deciding another method of deciding -- arbitration, expert opinion, etc.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org