questions about cohousing
From: Grace Kim (gracekimarchmsn.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:12:49 -0700 (MST)
I am a graduate student at the University of Washington studying cohousing for my architectural thesis. However, my focus is on the sociological aspects of cohousing ? why people are choosing this over other ?traditional? forms of housing, what are the expectations/realities, is it as great as I think it is/others say it is?

Following are a series of questions that I am pondering this week (I may be posting weekly, so please take this as warning. :-) Please feel free to respond to any/all the questions. If you?d rather speak candidly and not be ?on record? with your comments, feel free to contact me directly at gracekimarch [at] msn.com.

Where did you live prior to cohousing (suburb, downtown condo ? specific city/community would be great)? Why did you leave / what attracted you to cohousing?

What were expectations prior to moving in? Have those been met? What other things did you not expect that you are pleasantly surprised by.

What are major problems? (not enough storage, governance, people not chipping in)
What do you wish was done differently during the design of the community?

Is cohousing truly a great place to raise children? Do those without kids feel like they are taken advantage of?

How are seniors integrated into the community? Do they take on certain roles? Are there any stories to share about how seniors are cared after? Special skills/talents that they contribute that would not be met otherwise? Have there been seniors that have aged-in-place (meaning, brought in skilled care vs. moving to nursing home)? If so, how did that work out for the community?

Members with special needs ? does anyone in your community have a disability that everyone helps them cope with (MS, blindness, mental illness, physical handicap)? How has that person grown in your community? Are there any special roles (or privileges) they have that others don?t?

Thanks in advance to any/all that respond!