Re: MAINTENANCE FEES AND WHAT THEY COVER
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:39:46 -0700 (MST)
RoseWind Cohousing is a "lot development model" which means we each have
a home site (about 5000 sq ft) on which we have built individual homes,
which we paid to build, and are responsible for all maintenance and taxes
on these private lots. (My own property tax this year is $2600.)

Our climate is relatively mild, so no cost of snow removal, leaf removal,
or air conditioning!

We are 24 households; our 2004 budget would amount to $1000/yr, per
household, were it not reduced $200 by unspent money from a prior year.
That makes it $800, with a sliding scale arrangement allowing payment of
more, or less.

Of our assessment money 39% is for future needs; 41% is for projected
2004 spending.
Classified by use, our total budget, not counting contingency line (10%
of total), is about one third common house, one third landscape, one
third business expenses.

Our annual budget is comprised of operating expenses, and reserves. Mainly
Common House expenses: telephone, utilities, repairs, supplies, trash
collection
Commons (grounds) expenses: equipment for mowing, irrigation, grading,
mulching
Business expenses: accounting, legal advice, filing fees, copying and
postage, INSURANCE, taxes, advertising and outreach
Trainings and retreats, for the facilitation team, and for all.

Reserve funds:
Depreciation on common house
Future repairs and replacements on CH appliances and furnishings
Against eventual required costs of mediation, arbitration
Towards future upgrades of paths and other commons features.
Replacement and repair of grounds equipment.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our