Re: Necessity of passing the CH
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:53:57 -0700 (MST)
When I first joined this list 5-6 years (?) ago, there was lots of
discussion about this but more recently people have backed off a bit and
understood that not _all_ design features of cohousing have to be included
in all communities in order to make cohousing work. Trips from car to house
are not necessarily the best times to start chatting anyway. People are
usually tired or rushed.

We have 14 or 15 units that have to go literally through the commonhouse to
get to cars or throw out trash. I actually hire a neighbor boy to take out
my trash sometimes because I just can't bear another trip through three or
four doors and two flights of stairs with a bag of trash. I'm sure no one
every thought about this during design.

We have a nanny who calls the commonhouse our "lobby" as in "I'll be in the
lobby." That is a nice feeling usually but not when you just want to throw
out the trash. Or when you are throwing out the trash and someone is holding
a party in the dining room and here you are lumbering through with a
maybe-dripping black-plastic bag and rattling bottles and cans in a paper
shopping bag!

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org