Info for healthy meal planning
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:48:54 -0700 (MST)
Hi all -

I don't know if other cohousing folk might be interested, but the link below is
a good source if you are trying to create healthy meals that also work for
diabetic members.

The information is also probably useful if you have Atkins adherents who want
more info on good carbs/bad carbs in common meals.

http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/ngilists.htm

Fair warning - it is thorough, so it's loooooong.

For more food for thought (sorry, couldn't resist) check out the February 2004
issue of Discover magazine, p 43.  It has an article about Walter Willett of
the Dept of Nutrition of the Harvard School of Public Health and shows his
version of the food pyramid (which stands on a base of "exercise").  In the
past, I've found his ideas very useful in cohousing meal planning - which is
one of my favorite parts of preparing common meals, ranked right after sharing
a six-pack or a bottle of wine with the cooking team while doing prep!

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland USA