marketing question
From: Lon Goldstein (zebulon269yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:36:17 -0700 (MST)
Hello fellow cohousers,
As one part of our marketing effort to sell our last two homes (they are the largest and most expensive units as it happens) at Wild Sage cohousing we are taking out classified ads in the real estate section of the major Boulder and Denver newspapers. A difference of opinion has arisen about how prominently to include the concept of cohousing in the ad. Some feel that using the word "cohousing" too prominently in the ad would scare away people who don't know what it is, and might immediately assume it is some sort of commune and not for them. These folks want to just spark peoples interest in the house, and then when they call, let our wonderful folks at Wonderland talk to them and have the chance to explain what cohousing is in a way that won't scare away people with initial doubts.

On the other hand, some people feel that if "cohousing" is sort of hidden somewhere at the end of the ad, we'll miss those folks who might specifically be interested in cohousing (or just community in general) and would not necessarily be drawn by the fact that the home is a newly constructed townhome with nice features. Also, there is a sense of "why are we ashamed of the word cohousing?" And wouldn't emphasizing community be a draw for the kind of people we want to attract?

A lot of this revolves around just catching peoples attention in a classified among many classifieds to get them to call in. And since these are the larger more expensive homes, traditionally a little more challenging to find buyers for, there is a sense of anxiety not to scare any potentially interested folks away. (Not to worry, in any case no one will move in before meeting the community and knowing what they are getting into. We have taken heed of some communities experience with that sticky mess!)

I'll paste 3 options we are considering for the ad below. The first is the original, with subtle cohousing placement, the second right up front with our name and the word cohousing. The third is a compromise focusing on community, but leaving the cohousing at the end, but still including our web site address (with also contains the word cohousing).

Any comments and insights, especially from those who have been thru a similar marketing effort would be more than welcome! Thanks!
Lon Goldstein
Wild Sage Cohousing
www.wildsagecohousing.org

#1 (original)
New Construction!
Upscale twnhm in Holiday Neighborhood. Superior finishes. 3 BR/2.5 bath 2700sqft incl unfin daylight lower level + garage. Part of new cohousing cmty. Starts @ $461K. 303.449.3232 x116

#2 (more community focus)
Comfort and Community!
Upscale twnhm at Wild Sage Cohousing in new Holiday Neighborhood. Superior finishes. 3 BR/2.5 bath 2700sqft incl unfin daylight lower level + garage. Starts @ $461K. www.wildsagecohousing.org 303.449.3232 x116
#3 (compromise)
Comfort and Community!
Upscale twnhm in Holiday Neighborhood. Superior finishes. 3 BR/2.5 bath 2700sqft incl unfin daylight lower level + garage. Part of new cohousing cmty. Starts @ $461K. www.wildsagecohousing.org 303.449.3232 x116