Re: marketing question
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:54:04 -0700 (MST)
"Community" is so over- and misused in real estate that, appearing in that
context, it is just as likely to attract people who would be horrified to
find themselves expected to know their neighbors.

We never got any useful leads from real estate ads or agents -- a waste of
decision time & money.

Our successful recruiting has been
(1) through personal contacts, especially in organizations that attract
cohousingish people -- a progressive church, volunteer or political groups,
an alternative school (especially for families);
(2) fliers where cohousingish people congregate -- independent book stores,
organic food stores, the university area, the art district, vegetarian
cafes, coffee shops, the massage school (in Wasatch Commons' experience, at
least: Our most common professions are teacher/professor, nurse, & massage
therapist); and
(3) an ad in a local alternative newspaper or magazine.  Ours is successful
enough we pay for it by the year.  It's not a classified; it's about 2x2"
with an interracial kid photo, in the community section (In five years
postconstruction, I think there have been only a couple of months when we
did _not_ have units for sale.)

Think outside the box.  That's where cohousing people tend to be.

However/wherever you recruit, focus on the community life and mention the
house as an afterthought.

Kay