drum composter experience?
From: Jillian Downey (jilliandumich.edu)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:29:26 -0700 (MST)
Hi all,

The grounds committee at Great Oak cohousing is looking at getting a compost bin just for our common house dinner scraps (not to handle the whole community's compost - individual households have small bins that they use or share with others).

We did not want to have an open bin due to the smell and visuals of it, right in the center of the community on the common green. And I've only ever used the ones that are shaped like a large black upside-down cup that sits on the ground - they're hard to turn sufficiently and can get smelly.

So, I looked around at other styles of composters and I found a two-bin rotating drum composter that looks like it might work well and be easy for people to use - the one I found is at
<http://www.eco-gardening.com/docs/comp_compostwin.shtml>

So, I was wondering if others have used rotating drums? Do you find they work ok for continuous composting (ie when you add a bit every day until they're full and you need to let them finish processing)?

We've also thought about trying their model that is supposed to keep perking thru cold northern winters -
<http://www.eco-gardening.com/docs/comp_greenjohanna.shtml>
has anyone tried those?

thanks for any info,
-Jillian