Re: Pictures of Ponds
From: Michael McIntyre (michaelsunward.org)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:30:46 -0700 (MST)

On Mar 21, 2004, at 5:54 PM, James Kacki wrote:

Did you build it from scratch or was there already a water source there/
How much did it cost?
How did you build it?
I'd like to learn all I can from your experience, and probably others would too once they have looked at the photo.

http://www.twinoaks.org/gallery/land-bldg/w_pondbeach

McCune of Twin Oaks community has this to say:

        "There was a creek there already that has at least a trickle of water
most of the time.
        I think cost was about $20K. Someone else here would know for
certain.
        We got soil conservation service to look at the soil. We hired a
contractor with heavy equipment who knew all about ponds; he built
the dam and overflow and contoured the land, removed trees, etc.
        We did the research on the "flowforms" and "biopool" that keeps the
pond filtered and clean, and much of the installation work on that
part.
        The hardest part was agreeing on actually building the thing and
deciding where to put it."

HTH,
michael, who has visited Twin Oaks a number of times and lives at Sunward

                Sunward Cohousing: Home sharing and purchase Openings Now!

                http://www.sunward.org/openings.html