Re: NW Sustainability conference, May 1 Seattle
From: Stephen Waters (duatshemsuyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
OK. I'll be on the lookout for the TV doc. What station and when?
Y'all will be totally off-grid, food too! That must feel wonderful.
The organic farming work is going to be so crucial in the next coming decade.
GMOs are gaining popularity. Here in CA they are taking towns by storm. I would
like to develop an organinc farm on all future properties that I build. The
personal indoor systems are very promising.
I would like to visit sometime and run around that big country. There are
family in Maine and friends all over the east who I'll need to see. Would like
to stop in.

Cheers,
Stephen

Jayne Kulikauskas <cml [at] mmalt.guild.org> wrote:
Sephen Waters" writes:

> Hi Jayne,
>
> Well done. Congratulations on the Conservation Award!

Thanks. It led to us getting an interview on national radio (CBC) last
weekend. CBC has also made a tv documentary that ought to be being aired
in the next month or so.

> And what a spread. Alot can be done on 190 acres. Or alot of nothing can
be not done just as well.

Part of the land is being preserved in a natural state and part is to be an
organic farm. We are limited to only a small portion of it for building.

> I am interested in the plans that you have for the property. Especially
the building plans. Will you be employing and materials uses such as tires,
cans, bottles, cardboard, straw bale? Windmill? Waterwheel? Solar?
Geothermal?
> There are many questions that I have but don't want to overload you or be
too intrusive.

We had started out with plans for straw bale, but I think that we had to
abandon them. We are super-insulating and using passive solar design. We
have plans for a wind generator and have already purchased our solar panels.
We will be heating with a hydronic system most likely using a water source
heat pump. Eventually we also want a masonry oven for back up heat source.
We are hoping to use composting toilets but still have some legal hurdles to
overcome for that one.

Jayne
www.wholevillage.org