Re: Part-time residents
From: Eris Weaver (eriswsonic.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
Perri said:

> Also, we have some members who currently live about 2 hours away (our
> community has not been built yet) and they have a difficult time
> attending meetings.  They would like to receive an agenda in advance of
> the meetings, so they can give their input, objections, or consent
> before the meeting.  Unfortunately our agenda is usually not together
> until the actual day of the meeting -- sometimes just hours before.

Um, why is your agenda not together until the day of the meeting?!? We
have long had a policy that agendas, proposals, etc. had to be emailed to
all members several days before a meeting. This helps EVERYONE in the
community be prepared and come to the meeting having thought about the
issues to be discussed; it really makes a better use of people's time.
Throughout all of our planning, development, and now living together (we
started moving in in September), we have managed to have meetings of only
2 hours, twice a month -- now down to once a month. I've heard of
communities with four hour meetings. Some time spent on prep REALLY pays
off in the long run.

Eris Weaver
erisw [at] sonic.net
Cotati Cohousing, CA