Re: Choosing Colors
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
We (in Sonora Cohousing, Tucson) used a process similar to the one
described below by Robert
I do recall having our architect pick a palette, but for some reason(s) we
decided to go to a local team of color consultants instead. I think most
of us have been quite pleased with the results.  In any case, as the
vegetation becomes more pronounced/dominant, the color of the houses makes
a more subtle difference in the overall aesthetics (while initially it was
the most noticeable element).

R.

>It has been seven years since Eno Commons did this so my recollection may
>be a bit fuzzy.

>We came up a list of values we wanted the colors to represent (i.e. warm,
>friendly).  We hired a color consultant who create a large palette for us
>to choose from.  From this list, we selected a smaller palette.  The
>group then chose the colors for their houses and we posted what everyone
>chose.  Of courses, there was much discussion and folks did change their
>minds after seeing others chose.  Compared to other issues, it was
>relatively painless.

>-Robert Heinich
> Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
> Durham, NC
> whose house colors are mustard yellow, ketchup red accent, and
>mayonnaise white trim.

racheli [at] sonoracohousing.com (Racheli Gai)