Re: Recruiting for Families
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 15, 2004, at 9:57 AM, Theresa Jensen wrote:

We are currently trying to attract more children to our community, and want to explore options in addition to targeting marketing efforts.

We moved in with three children plus two visiting on weekends. A family of three moved in six months later.

After the first year we had another 5 babies though one died (SIDS). The next year we had one adoption (a 9 year old). This year we are having three more babies and a daughter with two babies and one on the way attends most meals. Three adoptions are in progress. Another three babies are planned. Two babies who are here temporarily with renting families, one waiting for a cohousing unit in another community and one visiting from Spain.

So we have gone from 4 to 16 after 4 years, not counting the three babies that are planned or the single adoptions that may turn into multiples.

Include a kids room in the commonhouse and outdoor play space and the kids will come. They will come last, however, because parents are often too busy to get involved in a long development process.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC