Kids Rules
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
A while back I mentioned my fears that a child would throw a ball up and dent our acoustical panels. Liz pointed out that we should have rules about that. We do but an interesting thing happened recently.

When older children are adopted into the community, you have to restart the rules. Suddenly the new boy who didn't know the rules started throwing the ball around and all the boys who knew the rules perfectly well, suddenly forgot them. I think, in fact, that they actually had forgotten it was a rule. They experienced it as a whole new concept.

Since we are looking forward to two more adoptions of older children we will have the same experience. As well as having to make new rules for 3-4 year olds since we haven't had that age group before.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC