Cohousing Magazine June 23: Creating Community
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
[this is the text-only stripped-down-for-Cohousing-L version of Cohousing
Magazine, published by the Cohousing Association of the United States
(Coho/US). If you see an attachment, try viewing it in your browser to
see the fully-formatted and richly-linked version, or just go to:
http://www.cohousing.org/magazine/

Old ideas die hard

by Carol Braford
President,Board of Directors
Cohousing Association of the United States

Sometimes I wonder how long it will take before we stop seeing references
to the old TCN (The Cohousing Network) in articles, newsletters, group
websites and publicity about cohousing. And what about members, which we
no longer have? We continue to receive inquiries - and even money - for
memberships. It's now been months since we completely changed our
association's structure and gave it a new name. Do you think some people
just haven't noticed?

 But then I realize that it hasn't been so long in the scheme of things
after all. To those of us working on this transition, it seems like ages,
but of course that's just one perspective.

Read more:
http://www.cohousing.org/magazine/welcome.html

Site-search wisdom

Cohousing developer Chris ScottHanson offers insightful tips for finding
and developing a site that best meets your community's vision

When is the best time for a cohousing group to begin a site search? Do
you recommend a minimum number of members? What needs to be in place in
terms of the group's vision and financial commitments?

 Members usually need to get to know and trust each other before settling
on a location or a specific site. This can take several months, a year or
even longer. It's wise to discuss and clearly understand members' urban
or rural expectations early in a group's development. Read more:
http://www.cohousing.org/magazine/creating.html

 To manage your Cohousing subscription, click here:
http://www.cohousing.org/magazine/subscribe.html

 Upcoming events .  . .
* Tours set for summer and fall
* International Intentional Community Meetup on July 10

In the news . . .

* What's so "UU" about cohousing?
* PR Newswire article on cohousing
* Oregon cohousing site under public review
* Central Austin Cohousing looks for alternative site
* Cohousing communities make headlines
* Muir Commons hosts fundraiser
* Community for seniors gaining ground
* Cohousing opportunities in Michigan
* Presentation addresses sprawl

Read more:
http://www.cohousing.org/magazine/news.html

Go see the real thing, and subscribe to get it right in your mailbox in
all it's formatted glory!

Raines
 Coho/US Comm Team paperboy