Re: Private vs. Public space, next to back door
From: whitney beers (whitneybeersearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
I used to have community trash cans outside of my house in a "common area."
After fruit flies gathered in my not-so-common kitchen, I suggested we move
them.  The consensus was no, that in the front of the house where I had
suggested they would be too visable.  The next week I suggested planting a
garden in a bed just in front of my proposed trash can location.  The consensus
was an overwhelming "Yes!" and so I planted tall ornamental grasses and some
pretty perennials that grew about 3-4 feet in height (Monarda, or Bee Balm).
Later in the summer, when the garden was nice and tall, I suggested moving the
trash cans again, and did a trial run to see if they were still visable from
the street.  Voila!  They were hidden from view by my clever garden, and I have
no more fruit flies.  It cost me a small amount of money, but in the end the
trash cans weren't an issue.

We range from folks who really don't care what things go where to people who
definately have an opinion.  There are ways to appeal to what everyone wants -
asking for input into the garden, for example, from the more controlling sorts
- without addressing too much that's psychological.  (I do think that deep
seated values about what gets controlled and how is an extrememly salient point
- and one that comes up constantly in our common areas).

Good luck - I'm on the bunny's side!

Brindledorf.