Re: establishing a Common House only in our community
From: JSUTFRAN (JSUTFRANaol.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:46:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Tammi -
I am part of a group of homeschooling families in Frederick, MD who will be
ready to "move in" to our community house in a few months!

We have about 17 member families and are renting a big old renovated dairy
barn with 2 attached apartments.  We'll use it for 'hanging out', sharing
resources, slumber parties, potluck suppers, bookclubs, sewing groups,
gardening,
etc etc etc!

Last fall we started renting a local community center twice a month for a day
to spend together, play on the playground, and have a potluck supper.  All
the while, searching for a suitable space we could call our own.  We considered
residential and commercial - and had great difficulty with the zoning issues
in our area - especially as related to parking.

Re: online resources.... because we are all homeschooling families (mostly
unschoolers) - I looked into educational centers as models - check out
www.creatinglearningcommunities.org ....  The Orange Swing
www.theorangeswing.org is a
local family center that was a great inspiration to us.

Good luck!
Jane