Re: Private vs. Public space, next to back door
From: Michele Satanove (msatshaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:53:47 -0700 (PDT)
Aesthetics are such a personal thing, and I find it surprising that there
isn't more acceptance of each other's situations in cohousing communities
everywhere.

What do people mean when they express fear that the hutch would be
"unsightly or otherwise undesirable"? Have they seen the hutch? Can it be
spruced up a bit, perhaps? What about the "otherwise undesirable" part? Are
they afraid of smells? Of attracting flies? As a long-time pet bunny owner
(in the house), I can tell you that rabbits do not smell at all if the
litterboxes are maintained. Likewise with the flies. I can't imagine what
other objections there would be except that all the kids would want to be
over there checking out the cute little bunnies all the time...

What surprises me is that apparently it is okay for you to have the hutch in
front of your house but not in the back...

One solution -- and you might not like this -- would be to bring the bunny
indoors. I love having mine as indoor pets, finding that they are very
sociable and entertaining when allowed free run of the house, as with cats.
You do have to bunny proof the house though, and if you choose this route, I
would highly recommend reading www.rabbit.org very thoroughly.

I don't know if this helps any. I think somebody else suggested finding a
neutral party to act as a go-between, and perhaps that would be the best
route to go.

Good luck!
Michele Satanove
Roberts Creek Cohousing (key turn-over on August 2!)