Re: Private vs. Public space, next to back door
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:55:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 10, 2004, at 1:48 AM, Michele Satanove wrote:

Aesthetics are such a personal thing, and I find it surprising that there isn't more acceptance of each other's situations in cohousing communities
everywhere.

What I find more surprising than the diversity in aesthetics is the lack of awareness about resolving differences. People give up so soon. When everyone has the right to express their druthers, others have to not only be able to hear them but to stick with it long enough to resolve the druthers. This usually means coming up with a third solution that works for everyone, but all parties have to engage with this process in order for it to work.

Too often someone just goes away mad at the first expression of a difference of opinion and then blames the other person for the problem.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC