RE: COMPENSATION FOR EARLY INVESTMENT IN A COHO?
From: Eileen McCourt (emccourtmindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:07:26 -0700 (PDT)
At Oak Creek Commons, we gave double credit for the first 30K in
investments, and 50% bonus for the next 20K, so if you put in 10K of the
first 30K, you would be credited with $20,000 toward the purchase of your
house.  If you put in 5K of the next 20K, you received $7,500 credit toward
the purchase of your home.  This was intended to compensate for the highest
level of risk at the outset of the project, when the land was under option,
and we were still trying to raise enough money to purchase the property.
There was a real risk that all of the early money would be lost.

We also established a buy-in amt (5% of anticipated cost) and paid interest
on any money invested in the project beyond the 5%.  We ultimately raised
$1.5 million from group members, including the 5% buy-in.  Several members
refinanced their homes, took money out of other investment vehicles, etc,
for the initial purchase of the land.  Interest rates were offered above
market rate to compensate for the risk.

Your situation might call for a reasonable level of profit sharing in the
initial subdivision, also.  Another thing that happened at Oak Creek is that
some people were entitled to profit sharing AND interest based on the
Streamlined Development Model that Wonderland Hill uses for project funding.
These folks plowed their profit share back into the project so that we were
able to offer one of our homes at a $150,000 discount to a qualified family,
creating one permanent truly affordable home at Oak Creek.

Eileen McCourt
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA