Consensus/Groupthink
From: Becky Weaver (becky_weaverio.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Consensus works very well when you chase away anyone who happens to
> disagree with the group.

I am interested in this notion in conjunction with the "groupthink" thread
(I also found that article very interesting).

I believe that groups of people should only use consensus decision-making
if they agree upon what they are trying to achieve, and how (in terms of
basic principles) they intend to achieve it.

At the same time, genuine consensus decision-making (as opposed to
groupthink decision-making) produces strong, effective decisions because
it draws upon the diversity of ideas, styles, knowledge, and viewpoints
within a community.

Does anybody have ideas on structures/practices that can expose groupthink
before a group wanders out into left field? How can a community encourage
and reward constructive disagreement?

Becky Weaver
Central Austin Cohousing