Re: Groupthink
From: Saoirse Charis-Graves (ccharisearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:05:19 -0700 (PDT)
Norm, good luck with the evolving process in your community. It sounds as if your eye for precision will keep everyone on their toes. My word choice was not as precise as it could have been, but I think you missed my intent. I regret that I did not communicate more clearly. Certainly, others on this list have done a better job than I did on speaking to the general idea of helping comm'ty meetings become more supportive of the decision-making process. I have enjoyed reading the generous offerings from so many corners.

Cohousing has taught me to be more generous with my thoughts and my appreciation for everyone's particular contribution. It has taken awhile for me to get there. What does that have to do with groupthink? Only that I used to be more interested in making sure everyone was on the same page. Now, I find it more interesting to find out more about what each person's "homepage" looks like from their perspective. I have become more generous with my ability to see things from another person's worldview -- not necessarily do I agree with them, but I see how they come to that perspective. As a result, others are more willing to soften in their "positions" and talk at a deeper level about what matters -- in this decision, in this discussion, etc.

What I see in Harmony Village (my opinion only) is that we are evolving to the place where we are more comfortable with diverse points of view. Instead of holding to the idea that our level of agreement is a measure of how well we get along, it's our ability to notice and respect our differences that creates a stronger foundation and a more solid community. I enjoyed what Jim said about his growth as a facilitator, in that he is more willing to stand on the idea that the group is not yet ready to decide instead of giving in to the desire that we move it all the way to a decision (before we go home).

Anyway, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I've been learning a lot from your contributions.

Saoirse
Harmony Village Cohousing