Re: Formal Consensus, passivity & groupthink
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all -- this is indeed a fascinating thread.  I've saved the many
thoughtful responses and queries made by participants on this list.

I'm wondering, Norm, what piqued (spel?) your interest in "groupthink?"
Have you felt you have had to deal with this in your cohousing community or
have you seen it operating in other cohousing communities?  I realize now
that I'm not sure where you are coming from in having made your original
post.  Is this just an exercise or is it tied to something more concrete?

I'm an advocate of Formal Consensus precisely because it specifically seeks
out divergent opinions.  One can abuse ANY system of governance or decision
making.  Therefore,  I'm also an advocate of training, training, training
and then when you think you've got it right...some more training.

It's been my experience that a well facilitated consensus process results in
anything other than snoozing in a meeting.  Formal Consensus is easily
adapted to an active affirmation stance.  In fact, FC can be easily adapted
to almost any process.

Never in my meager 12+ years experience using consensus have people just
followed along on someone's charisma in a meeting.  Quite the opposite is
true if you follow the norms of consensus.  Or maybe I've just belonged to
more cantankerous groups!

I agree w/ Sharon's comments below about "thumbs"  and dare I say it? Color
cards.  Yes, I know color cards promote and produce efficiency in meetings.
Like "thumbs" they are too close to a "voting" posture.

And just so you don't think we're in "groupthink" mode...Sharon and I
frequently disagree about stuff at home here in Takoma Village.   And we
still go shopping together and engage in serious conversation w/ each other.
This is the beauty of consensus and diversity in a collaborative community.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread.  Very interesting!

Best -- Ann Z.
Takoma Village
WDC