Re: SELF DEVELOPMENT VS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPER
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Linda,

Just had a long talk with a coho developer about the pitfalls of
self-development of a coho community. She recommended that I ask you all if
you know of cohos which were self-developed (without a developer) and which
came in time and on budget.

I wonder how many cohousing communities with professional developers have come in on time and on budget?

It seems to me that most construction projects large or small take more time and money than people expect. I'm not sure why that happens so much, but whether it's adding a deck onto the back of a house or building a 30-unit complex, people seem to consistently underestimate the resources needed. It is certainly possible (even likely) that the record of self-developed coho groups is worse in this regard than professionally developed coho groups, but i do think it's important to keep things in perspective.

Best of luck sorting out what's right for your group, cheers,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.
Eugene, OR 97403