Re: RE: SELF DEVELOPMENT VS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPER
From: Norm Gauss (normangauss11comcast.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
In our situation, we needed a landscape architect to draw a scale layout of
the community (situated on a ridge top), showing the exact location of the
new condominium buildings, lots, common house, plaza, driveways, walkways,
concrete stairways, swimming pool area, vegetable garden, orchard,
irrigation lines and overflow parking areas, as well as a list of trees,
shrubs, and groundcover plants (and their exact location), and lawn areas.
This plan had to be drawn according to industry standards and submitted to
the planning commission, along with specifications on temporary soil erosion
measures, pre-emergent herbicides, mulching material, a timed irrigation
system (both sprinkler and drip), and measures to ensure that the plants get
established.  Once all this was approved, it had to be submitted to the site
engineering firm so that water supply lines could be planned, along with the
other underground utilities (all utilities are underground).  This was way
beyond the scope of a do-it-yourself team.

There were certain changes requested by our landscape committee, primarily
in the types of plants and their location, but we accepted most of the other
work of the landscape architect.

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA